i've been counting down since last Dec 26 ... are you ready? me neither!!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

yummy dinner again!

Prep Time:25 min
Total Time:32 min (exactly ... wink)
Makes:4 servings, two topped potatoes each (i could only eat 1 and a half ... )
8 small new potatoes (3/4 lb.), about 1-1/2 inches in diameter
1/2 cup water
4 slices OSCAR MAYER Center Cut Bacon (i used alberstons bacon that i had in the freezer!)
2 Tbsp. KRAFT Zesty Italian Dressing (or albertsons brand zesty italian - and we used more like 4 tbsp.)
1/2 cup KRAFT Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (i have tillamook medium cheddar)
PLACE potatoes and water in 2-qt. microwaveable dish. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 10 min. or until potatoes are tender. Let stand 5 min. Meanwhile, cook bacon in large nonstick skillet on medium heat 8 to 10 min. or until crisp, turning frequently. Drain on paper towels.
DRAIN potatoes; place on work surface. Press each potato with bottom of small bowl or saucer to flatten to 1/2-inch thickness. (we scored the sides so they would smash nicely)
HEAT dressing in skillet on medium heat. Add potatoes (face down ... so that the good side gets browned first so it looks nice); cook 4 min. or until bottoms are golden brown. Meanwhile, crumble bacon. Turn potatoes over; sprinkle evenly with cheese and bacon. Cover skillet with lid. Cook an additional 2 min. or until cheese is melted.

we topped them with a small dollop of sour cream - SO yummy!


Prep Time:5 min
Total Time:25 min (no joke!)
Makes:4 servings, one sandwich each (i doubled it and we had only a small bit left over - we had 4 adults and 6 kids - mind you my 4 ate less than half the amount that one of the other 2 kids ate.)
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs (we used breasts - we prefer white meat and that's what i had!)
1 onion, sliced (i didn't have one ... it still tasted good!)
1/2 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce (i had hunts brand ... )
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 French bread baguette, 16 to 20-inches long (about 10 oz.) (i had stadium rolls - those costco hotdog buns - we toasted them in the oven and for the kids we just toasted bread!)
4 KRAFT Singles (or what ever kind of singles you have ... processed cheese YUM)
COOK chicken and onions (or not) in skillet on medium-high heat 8 min., stirring occasionally.
ADD barbecue sauce, water and sugar; stir. Reduce heat to medium; cover. Cook an additional 7 min. or until chicken is cooked through (165ºF).
REMOVE chicken from skillet. Shred chicken with fork or chop into small pieces. Return to skillet; stir until evenly coated with sauce. Cut baguette crosswise into four pieces (or just toast the bread you're going to use!). Cut each piece lengthwise in half. Fill with chicken mixture and singles.

my kids ate their obligatory/mandatory bites ... didn't like it - big surprise! but the kids that were visiting ate it and loved it! i think i need to trade in my kids ... they're broken!

i made this meal for my mission buddy and his wife and family that are visiting for 2 days - i was SO happy to have an actual meal that people (besides myself) ate and enjoyed!

5 comments:

Jennalee said...

hmmm, these recipes are faintly familiar....oh RIGHT...I just got MY Kraft Foods mag in the mail today...what a life saver...these two particularly caught my eye, what a coinkidink! I'll have to try them!

Jen said...

Emily

I have your daughters coat. Email me at jen.shevitz@gmail.com and give me your house number. I can drop it off a soon as I know what house is yours. Otherwise I will give it to Beth to give to you on Sunday.

Jen

Kedra Simpson said...

I thought those two recipes looked really good. I am glad you tried them out and liked them. I will have to give it a go...when I feel like cooking again. :)

jennycooks said...

Looks yum! I love it when my friends share recipies they have tried! Thanks!

kiley said...

ok, those potato things are awesome... i will definitely be making those again... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... tasty