i've been counting down since last Dec 26 ... are you ready? me neither!!

Friday, July 18, 2008

another first for me!

i have been married for going on 9 years now ... i have taken several trips away - leaving my handsome, capable, wonderful husband alone with 2, 3 or 4 kids - but until last tuesday i had never been left alone. mind you, i am alone all day everyday ... but never overnight.


andy's new calling at church is teacher's quorum advisor - he works with the 14 and 15 year old boys. he likes working with the youth - except the part about teaching every 2nd sunday! one of the perks of working with the youth is Youth Conference! he was invited to join them and be a driver/chaperone this year. they spent tuesday, wednesday and came home thursday at fort flagler.


i have to admit that i was not looking forward to being alone for 2 whole days - but we did really well! no one died, we had fun, and we think that we could totally do it again - no problem. i surprised even myself. it's no secret that i'm not a good single parent, i need a partner as a buffer/assistant/support/team - i have HUGE respect for single parents!! life ran fairly smoothly and normal, except the boys missed his bedtime singing ... i don't know the football, basketball, and motorcycle songs. {bet you didn't know that andy is a bedtime singer/songwriter - but he won't sing in front of me ... his songs are 'super secret'!} i sang "i'm so glad when daddy comes home" - it just seemed appropriate! the boys weren't the only ones that missed him at bedtime ... i stayed up too late both nights until i would go straight to sleep when i hit the pillow and not have to lay there and listen to every sound the house made. the girls missed him too, see ...



i showed these to andy, he asked me if i just slept next to them ... "uh no thanks - i kinda like having a big bed all to myself and have you ever tried to sleep next to elyssa!? she crowds out/cuddles with the other people in the bed!" i said. "a girl after my own heart!" andy's a cuddler too!

all in all it was a success - but we don't want to make a habit of it!

5 comments:

Jennalee said...

good job :) you did it...so where DID you sleep?

Aimee Oliver said...

kids are so dang cute when they are sleeping!!! The few times a year that Spence is gone, my bed partners are my 3 phones and my set of house keys. Don't ask why I need all 3-I just do! ;)

Super Angie Супер Энджи said...

YEA! Way to go! :) Cute photos.

lblack said...

Glad you made it! It is so hard when hubby's leave! Logan was gone this past week and like you - I stayed up way too late...Glad you all survived. :)

Tara said...

I feel your pain...and success!! Good for you!! It feels like an accomplishment huh?!! I am super anxious for tomorrow night...Shawn gets home after being gone 10 days in Indonesia.