i've been counting down since last Dec 26 ... are you ready? me neither!!

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

day 2 and still on track!

One of my Goals for 2010 is to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover in 30 consecutive days. This means roughly 17 pages a day=45-ish minutes a day=a big commitment. I want to do this for 2 reasons, 1) I haven't read from cover to cover in quite a while ... 2) I can read 500 pages of a novel in a few days ... but 530 of scripture is difficult - I want it to be like a novel and get the story in my head.

I have started reading about 4 times ... and get to about chapter 6 and get distracted ... so I start over the next time I pick it up ... days later! But I am determined this time. I have decided that it's not cheating to listen to it! I downloaded it to my zune from lds.org and I have listened to it for 2 days in a row now ... and ya know - I'm really liking it! My plan is to spend those 45ish minutes on the eliptical ... that part hasn't happened yet ... but I'm listening and getting the story and my 'required' chapters in to meet my goal!

I know the Book of Mormon is true scripture and that by reading it you can get closer to our Heavenly Father and learn the mysteries of God ... you will also learn about His "tender mercies" as promised by Nephi in the first chapter, twentieth verse ... have faith and He will "make [you] mighty even unto the power of deliverance." Who doesn't want that??

2 comments:

The Ahlstrom Family said...

You go girl! What a great goal! Like you, I seem to always have the goal of reading the Book of Mormon cover to cover, and seem to always get derailed. Thanks for the idea of listening to it! I might just start tonight! :) Keep going - this is one goal worth keeping!

Colleen said...

Great idea! I know for the new YW value, Virtue, this is the value project (well, to read it). Our ward is setting a goal to have every sister read it by March, so we can send a letter to the general YW presidency and say we completed the new virtue project! You could do that!