i've been counting down since last Dec 26 ... are you ready? me neither!!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thoughts on being 'mom'

Today i spent most of the day alone ... a rarity it feels like in my line of work ... I took myself to the store, all by myself, i got out of the car, closed the door, walked alone across the parking lot, waited for a car to back out of a spot and made it into the store ... all by myself. I walked into the jewelry section and kept my hands to myself, i didn't touch the glass or spin the displays ... just looked and then i walked over to the shoe section ... i tried on a few pairs and found the perfect ones ... just what i was looking for ... all by myself. I went to the clothing section and found a darling skirt and picked up a few different shirts to try on, i went to the dressing room and tried them on and chose one to buy ... i went to the register and paid for my items and turned and walked out of the store ... across the parking lot and got back into my car, put on my seat belt and said to myself, "wow it's quiet in here ..." there wasn't any fighting, no whining, no "i want to sit there" or "stop touching that" or "keep your hands to yourself" ... there was also no "thanks mom for taking me" or "mom, where are we going next?" or "what time is it?" ... no little voices singing along with the music ... no laughter. I was reminded that sometimes it's not that great to be alone. (don't get me wrong, i love me some me-time ... but i thought to myself "that is why i wanted to be the mom!")

Then i watched this youtube video and it changed me a little ... being the mom isn't glamorous ... but i sure love it ... and i need to start telling my kids how much i LOVE being their mom ... it's always been my #1 - when my friends were hoping to be astronauts and the first woman president ... i wanted to be a mom (my big plan was to go to beauty school and be a hair dresser in my own home so that i'd be home but able to work ... maybe someday i'll add on that extra part).

i read this for the first time on my mission ... true ... so true!


What is a Mother?

A Mother is a wonderful creature constructed almost entirely of love and this she can express in a million ways from hugs and kisses and good cooking and patient listening, to stern lectures and strict rules and repeated use of the word "no".

Like snowflakes, no two Mothers are alike but they have a number of things in common. Name anything a Mother can be found washing it, roasting it, polishing it, getting rid of it, repairing it, packing it, teaching it, redecorating it, loving it, or talking it over at PTA.

A Mother cares about, and for most everything; gardens, pets, the state of the nation, the worn spot in the rug, hungry people, and most of all, Father and her children. For these, she can do anything, dare anything, and fight for anything necessary for their happiness.

A Mother is not always an angel. She will often disagree with you, expect too much of you, criticize your choice of friends, and bring up the subject of work when you feel least energetic. But she's always ready to help when you need her.

You don't always tell a Mother how much you love her or how much you wish the most wonderful things in the world will come to her because there are no words to express feelings so deep and sincere. Somehow, though, you feel she understands what's in your heart. Mothers always do.

1 comment:

tricki_nicki said...

Love this - thanks Em.