i've been counting down since last Dec 26 ... are you ready? me neither!!

Sunday, May 30, 2010

"Watching with All Perseverance"

I sure love it when there is a 5th Sunday in the month!  We meet  for the 3rd hour as a united Priesthood and Relief Society ... and I get to sit next to my honey and listen to a member of the Bishopric teach us.

Today we discussed Elder Bednar's talk from the Saturday Session of General Conference.  I remember hearing this while I sat in the Conference Center with my Mission friends!  I wrote 2 whole pages of notes then and today jotted down a few reminders:

~ Let them do the talking - LISTEN!!

~ 'It's no coincidence we have 2 ears and 1 mouth' ... we should listen twice as much as we talk!

~ Teach individually ... all of our children are individuals and we need to listen and learn how to teach them on a personal level for them.

~ Provide a sounding board for them.  Sometimes they just need to talk things thru for themselves and don't need us to tell them what to do ... just be a sounding board for them.

~ Bear spontaneous testimony ... "I bear you my testimony" and "in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." is not always necessary.

~ Their reaction is very telling as to where they are spiritually. 

~ Invite them to act ... be 'doers of the word' (James 1:22)

~ Teach them to seek opportunities to do, to help, to act.  On their own, they can see what needs to be done ... help them understand that it's a great thing to be anxiously engaged ... and to not wait for instructions all the time... but then let them.

~ "Turn 'em loose" - and encourage them, even if they fail let them do it their way!  There's something to be said for independant learning ... they will learn so much more by doing things by themselves!

READ & STUDY this talk.

I think I'll take my own advise and take a minute today to read this talk.  It's a good one!

No comments: